I couldn't have asked for a better labor and delivery. We were scheduled to arrive at the hospital at 6am. After we got there and settled into our room, I realized that I had a voicemail from the hospital asking if we would wait, call at 9, and then they would give us a new time to come in. Oops! Well after a couple of failed IV attempts, I thought we were going to have to end up waiting (after being given the option to stay or go home..without a time frame of how long we would wait). But then shift change happened at 7:30 and my new nurse came in and started my IV right away. My doctor was quickly to follow. She checked me and I was a "stretchy 3". She broke my water, and they started my antibiotic for Group B strep and then my pitocin shortly after that. My nurse joked that she wanted me to have two rounds of antibiotics--and so no baby before noon. We laughed at that...thinking after my experience with Cooper that it would probably be at least late afternoon. Well within the next hour, I was feeling the contractions, having to do some concentrating and breathing during them. I told the nurse around 9:15 that I was ready for something to take the edge off...and had told her earlier that I didn't want to miss my epidural window. She promised I wouldn't and after checking me and finding that I was 6cm. she went ahead and called for my epidural. I was finished getting my epidural around 10am and it worked perfectly. My parents arrived at about that time and we sat and talked with them. I could tell I was having some contractions, but I wasn't uncomfortable. My nurse came in and I could tell she was nervous about getting two rounds of antibiotics in. She had stopped the pitocin completely and kept calculating about the antibiotics. I felt good so I didn't realize how quickly I was progressing. The earliest she could start the second round of antibiotics was 11:15 and she started them at 11:15 on the dot and pushed them through quicker than the normal 30 minutes they take. At some point she checked me again and I was 9 1/2 cm. I told her shortly after that, that I could feel pressure and probably push soon. I didn't HAVE to push, but I definitely could. After seeing how far down the baby was, she decided to just call the doctor over instead of pushing with me. She joked that she could deliver the baby, but there is just so much more paperwork involved. The doctor arrived probably 5-10 minutes later and we began to push. I pushed through 2 contractions, so probably a total of 6-7 pushes, which is maybe a little over a minute total of pushing. It was so wonderful and a redeeming experience after last time. I think I felt what I needed to for pushing, but it wasn't painful. I had minimal tearing and a pretty quick and easy recovery. I know lots of people say the subsequent deliveries usually go faster and smoother...and I think I was expecting the worst and so I got to be very pleasantly surprised!
So I'm guessing you care more about the pictures than the story...so I have some to share!
Hudson, we are so glad that you came into the world safely and are thankful that you get to be a part of our family!











No comments:
Post a Comment