Thursday, April 17, 2014

Eric's 1/2 marathon

A couple of weeks ago, Eric ran the St. Louis GO half marathon. Eric has ran 1 half before and 3 full marathons, so this long road race wasn't anything new. He decided back at the beginning of the year that he wanted to do a race before the new baby arrives. This was his first spring race, so instead of lots of outside running in the hot weather, he did most of his training on the treadmill. I'm proud of him for getting up early to go to the gym before work--not wanting to give up evening time with Cooper and me. I'm also proud of him for doing long runs on the treadmill--yuck! I don't enjoy more than a few miles on the treadmill.

The race started at 7am on a Sunday morning, so we stayed in a hotel in downtown St. Louis. I figured Cooper wouldn't be up in time to make it to the start, so our plan was to be up around 8, grab some breakfast, and make it to the finish line. Little man woke up around 7:30, so our plan worked pretty well. We got ready and set out for St. Louis Bread Co. 


I had signed up for updates on Eric's progress and got one right as we left the hotel that he had passed the 6 mile mark. He also sent this text from the beginning of the race.


So after we ate our breakfast, we headed towards the finish line. I got an update that Eric had passed 11 miles, so we had 2 miles (and based on Eric's pace about 17-18 minutes) to get to the finish line.


We hustled and during the walk, I got a text from Eric that he was at mile 12. Whew! I almost had to start running to make it in time. We made it to the finish a few minutes before Eric came in and got to watch him cross the finish line.



Eric finished in just under 2 hours...which was a goal...and he said the run felt pretty good. It ended up being great weather too!




Way to go, babe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment