- Why disciple/mentor someone?
- Have you been discipled/mentored before?
- What did that relationship look like? (Formal/informal, etc)
- What take-aways did you get from that?
- What was the most meaningful part?
- Have you discipled/mentored someone else?
- What did that relationship look like?
- Successes/failures
Those are just designed to get you thinking....and please feel free to tell me about any experience.
Why? It's obedience to scripture. It solidifies YOUR OWN beliefs/experience/growth. It deepens relationships.
ReplyDeleteYep.
I've experienced formal (intentionally meeting with a couple of college students that I helped lead) and informal (digging deeper into personal friendships, talking about more than movies and light stuff).
I 'took away' deeper relationships, encouragement in watching one of the girls disciple others (for Chris at the BSU!), increased measure of wisdom as it was needed.
I have been discipled/mentored as well. Started out as more formal, crisis related. Developed into a long-lasting friendship and me 'checking in' periodically (now that we are separated by distance).
I am getting ready to start some 'formal' ones with our college ladies at our church, and train them to do the same...but I find the less 'formal' we keep it, the better. Also am meeting with 2 women from my own age class, one a brand new Christian...this is the one that is less familiar to me...but I still want to keep it flexible and relationship based rather than curriculum/official Bible study focused.
I loved having you as a mentor! It was a great experience and really stretched me. You weren't afraid to cut deep and ask real questions that made me think.
ReplyDeleteThat has been about the only formal discipleship, one on one type experience I have ever had. I've tried to get others off the ground, or have been parts of some that have tried to start but they haven't ever really gone anywhere.
I liked how structured our experience was, and how intentional you were about it. We made a point to make it happen. In other instances I or the other party have been all over the place about meeting, talking, or wanting to actually grow. That makes for a far less fruitful experience.
Why disciple/mentor someone? There is an irony when you disciple someone that as you pour into them, you are ultimately going to learn just as much if not more than what you are "teaching".
ReplyDeleteHave you been discipled/mentored before? YES.
What did that relationship look like? I have had experience with both formats. I preferred the less formal format.
What take-aways did you get from that? It's just such an experience intentionally living life with someone else. It takes the meaning of community to the next level.
What was the most meaningful part? Getting to be transparent and vulnerable with someone who you might not have willingly done that with unless you were in that type of relationship.
Have you discipled/mentored someone else? YES
What did that relationship look like? It was also of a less formal format.
Successes/failures: When there isn't a structure it can feel like nothing is actually happening or you might not see tangible fruits until much later.
I agree with sarah! I think that you did a wonderful job at modeling what a discipleship relationship can look like. I felt comfortable with you and more than anything I felt the love of Christ from you and you made me want to show that to others.
ReplyDeleteOurs was both formal and informal but to be honest I think that I learned the most by just living life with you. I have also discipled others and I think that no matter if it is a discipleship relationship, bible study groups or accountability partners there can be a bit of awkwardness, at least in my experience, when the relationship is too formal. When the relationships are rigid (meet only at this time, discuss these topics, these are the 'right' answers) I sometimes have felt like I have to impress people with my 'Goliness'. When the relationships are balanced with a bit informality I have felt much more comfortable and I am real with my circumstances (no I don't read my bible every day, but I am trying/ yes, I am struggling with this sin, thank you for not judging me/ ect).
I think that it is also important to mention that sometimes the most rewarding and stretching experiences can come from the most unlikely places. One of my best friends throughout college was an atheist. She was educated and sensitive to my beliefs, as well as I to her, but we were also continually considering the other's perspective which forced me to reflect on my own opinions. I had to stay on my toes and I loved that about her.
Thanks for the feedback ladies! I'm starting to meet with a college girl, who I don't know well, and so I just wanted to re-evaluate the process. Thanks for helping me think through what's valuable. "Doing life" with others can be sticky, but it is SO worth it! Love you all!
ReplyDelete