Monday, July 18, 2011

attempt #2

Back in January, I decided that I wanted to run a marathon...but I was a little late in starting to train.  I had to jump in on week 3 of training.  And then by about weeks 6-7, my left knee let me know that it was not very happy about all the running.  I actually claimed in late February that I was "retiring" from long races (although I had never competed in a full).   Not to mention that a trip with my team came up to go to Orlando and that conveniently meant that I could not do a marathon in Nashville that same weekend. 

My husband has previously run 2 marathons....one in 2009 and one in 2010. His last marathon was not the most fun ever...as he had pain in his toes from about mile 14 through the end. He actually told me at the finish line that if he "acts like he wants to do this again next year, to not let him".

Well here we are in the middle of July, and we're training for a marathon! Oops. Was I supposed to not let him?  And what happened to my retirement?  Who am I, Brett Favre?  It's not even something on my bucket list.  Really, it's just my competitiveness/pride.  I watch the Biggest Loser and they have run marathons on several of the seasons.  Oprah, for crying out loud, ran a marathon.  "If they can do it, I can do it."  And Eric?  Well he actually volunteered because he knows that I'll probably never do it on my own and I don't have anyone in CG to do it with- [insert: because he loves me and is a wonderful husband].  We are now about 4 weeks into our training. 

So what is going to keep us motivated during our running?  Keeping up with Oprah will only work for so long!  We have actually decided to run for orphans.  Eric ran the Chicago Marathon with a World Vision team back in 2009, he ran the Bass Pro Marathon last year as a part of 'I Run for Orphans', and I ran the KC 1/2 marathon in 2009 for 'I Run for Orphans'.  We desire to raise money for His Voice Global, an organization that is raising money to build their 4th orphanage in Sudan.  We learned that it takes approximately $30,000 to build one orphanage, that houses around 15 children and 2 adults.  We decided to take on the goal of raising $1800-$2000 which would either cover the cost of one room in the orphanage or for one student's education, clothes, food, housing, and needs at the orphanage.  We've set up a giving page to make it easy for you to partner with us.  Please check it out here and at least read about His Voice and the work they are doing.

Thanks friends and family.  We love you and are so grateful for you!

Kelly

Before the Bass Pro Marathon
PS- Just a little update on our training...I'm having a little right knee pain this time- so I'd love your prayers that it would go away and I'd be diligent to stretch and care for my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment