Tuesday, April 5, 2011

This Day in History...

Today is a day of reflection and gratitude.  A lot has happened in the last 10 years.  Let's see:
-got my driver's license
-traveled in an airplane for the first time
-graduated high school
-went to college
-moved 6 times
-got my first job
-graduated college
-traveled outside the United States 7 times
-met some of my closest & greatest friends
-got married to my best friend

...and that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.  Not to mention all the things that have happened (nothing to do with me):
-September 11th
-Cardinals won the World Series
-two ongoing wars
-America elected it's first black president
-Hurricane Katrina
-invention of the ipod, iphone, ipad....crazy advances in technology
....and on and on....


But why do I choose to reflect on this day?  Because it's the day I was diagnosed with leukemia. 10 years ago.  Even though it isn't my remission date, I've been waiting for this day for a long time.  It means I'm just a few months away from saying, "I've been in remission for 10 years!" I'm just a few months away from qualifying for normal health insurance.  And I'm just a few months away from being in a "safety zone" that comes with being 10 years removed.

God is good.  April 5, 2001 was a hard day for my family....and began a hard season in our lives.  The Lord chose to heal me completely.  He chose to use a miracle on me when treatments weren't going well.  I'm grateful.  I want to make much of Him today! 

6 comments:

  1. That's so great Kelly! I'm so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an encouragement you are. We serve a mighty God! What a day of memories for you and your family. What a day to remind us to praise the Lord in the midst of the trials, for He is, and always has been our provider, our sustainer, our healer, our protector. Thank you so much for sharing your story, so that we may praise Him alongside of you today. Love you.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly I can remember this day very well. It was a day of unanswered questions and uncertainity. But has you have put it so well the Lord too all the uncertainity and unanswered questions and used you in our lives and in the lives of others that you never would have meet otherwise. One special angle in heaven. I am so blessed and inspired to have you as my cousins. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly- I know we do not know eachother well but wanted to say what amazing plans He must have for your life and what great things are ahead for you and Eric. God is so good and healed his beloved for a mighty work. Blessings to you on this day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God has used you in so many amazing ways, friend! Your testimony and trust in Him even before, but also during, and after being diagnosed bring such glory to God. I am thankful for the miracle He provided in your life and for the ways He continues using you to serve and share about His goodness, even through the challenging times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm so glad you've been in remission for ten years! thanks for being willing to share your struggles and trials -God's used your pain in my life to point me to the Gospel. i don't think i'll ever forget you me and eric watching "my sister's keeper" together while everyone else went and saw "up" LOL!! we were all crying fools! love you much, much, muchly :)

    ReplyDelete