Monday, April 4, 2011

the lockout: wreaths and cookies

Have I told you before that my husband is good at everything?  It really is true.  One of the things that I love about him is how creative he is...and that I can show him things and he can replicate them pretty easily.  Well, I really enjoy "homey" things...you know, home furnishings and decor.  I like that you can change a few things around and it helps your home really embrace the season.  I've been wanting a spring/summer wreath for our front door for a while, but can never bring myself to buy one.  While out picking up some tulips, we ran across this lovely wreath, which would have cost us around $30.


....well back to my creative husband.  As we're looking at it, he begins to inspect how it's made and declares that it would be really easy to recreate.  I always think that, but can never follow through.  He actually can and does!  So on Saturday morning, we took a trek to Hobby Lobby to pick up some supplies so that he can make a wreath.  And $21 later, we have an adorable wreath hanging on our door.  We could have gotten it cheaper if we had planned for this and got the flowers for 50% off..which would have brought our total down to $14.  I think it looks perfect and love that it isn't quite as yellow/full as theirs and has more of the sticks showing!



So we're inspecting our wreath....hanging it perfectly so it won't get caught in the door at the top.  We were a little tight for time because we only had 15 minutes until we were scheduled to play racquetball.  And that's when it happened- we closed the door.  It was locked.  We were locked out.  No keys.  No cell phones.  Eric didn't even have shoes on.  We noticed one of our neighbors carrying groceries in from his vehicle.  We made the walk of shame (a little different of a walk than the "walk of shame" in the collegiate environment) downstairs to two neighbors both at their doorways.  They both graciously allowed us to use their phones, looked up phone numbers, and helped us for 20-30 minutes.  Maybe this was God's nudging to help us meet a couple more neighbors.  It also gave us an excuse to make and deliver some thank you cookies to them on Sunday!





And don't worry: we were able to reschedule our racquetball game.  We enjoyed our relaxing weekend very much!  I was able to go hiking with some of the girls, we grilled steaks, completed spring cleaning in our apartment, went to church, and saw Source Code too!  Plus, the Cardinals finally won a game yesterday!  I'll leave you with a picture to enjoy of us in some Cardinal gear for opening day last week.


Love from Cape G,
Kelly

PS- When we gave cookies to our neighbor right below us, she said that she was planning to actually come up and see this infamous wreath and bring cookies to us that she had bought at a bake sale.  We left her apartment with 10 cookies...ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment