- Give thanks to God (1:12)
What could this look like in 2014? Maybe keeping a journal of things I'm thankful for or of answered prayers.
- Proclaim Him (1:28)
How do my neighbors or people I run into at the grocery store know I'm a believer? I must have words and actions that proclaim Him. (words AND actions)
- Walk in Christ Jesus (2:6)
Can I walk in Christ Jesus if I'm not spending time with Him? If I want to know Him and be firmly rooted, I must make it a priority to spend time in the Word.
- Seek the things above (3:1-2)
When I think about things on earth, it allows doubt, fear, and worry to creep in. Can I live in 2014 with only thinking about the things above?
- Put on a new self (3:10-17)
These verses go into a lot of detail of all that we should be putting on: kindness, humility, patience, etc. This will affect my relationship with my husband, my toddler, and all those I come into contact with. (And the theme of putting on a new self could go with some of the more traditional health goals too).
- Work for the Lord (3:23-24)
I know there are people who have authority over us (example: boss at work), but what if our goal was to please the Lord? What if we realized we are His servant...and that truly giving our best effort is enough for man? What if we cared less about what others think of us?
- Devote yourselves to prayer (4:2)
God is at work all around us...and we should be taking an active role in others' lives by praying for them. It will not only increase our faith as we see how God answers prayers, but in that time with the Lord, we can come to know Him more. (And sometimes...it might not be talking, but just be listening).
-Speak with grace (4:6)
What is there to say about this? Speak with grace.
So there is my correlation with Colossians and New Year's goals. Just something that I thought of as I read tonight? Do you have any goals or resolutions for the new year?
No comments:
Post a Comment