-I think I'm more creative than I actually am
-I'm a bit of a perfectionist
You may remember about a year and half ago when my friend Abby and I took cake decorating class.
It was a lot of fun...but as the classes progressed (I took 1&2), it became a constant struggle with my inner perfectionist. I couldn't get the icing to the exact consistency I wanted or the tip of my rose to be absolutely perfect. But I see things and think, I can do that....(insert "not as creative/crafty as I think", won't settle unless it looks perfect- and I want it perfect on the first try, and maybe a slight competitive spirit)
So this weekend was the Super Bowl....and of course, a Super Bowl party. My husband and I both love a good party- and began to think about what we would take to the Super Bowl party. I suggested that one of our contributions should be cake pops. Now I know that cake pops are so 3008 and I'm so 2000 and late- but better to try late than never, right? I've seen so many cute ones and it seems like everyone knows how to make them, so they can't be that hard....(ha)...
After a little searching online, I thought we should make football cake pops and then just some that are team/logo color coordinated. We decided on devils food/chocolate football pops and then the team ones as funfetti/white icing. Sorry to disappoint that we don't have step by step instructions or pictures, but if you want to see the queen of cake pops, you can check out Bakerella's website. (Which I just checked...and she made the exact same cake pops...and they look "similar" to ours)
So here we are in the mixing process....and then our balls are chilling...
Sunday afternoon, we began melting our chocolate...then dipped our sticks, inserted them into the cake balls, and then dipped the cake balls. Here is where something went wrong. I struggled to get perfectly covered balls and then struggled to keep them on the sticks. I just don't know how to make them look sleek and clean. Eric made the footballs- and was having some success. I just ended up ditching the sticks and made cake balls for the team ones....
They weren't a complete failure- they tasted great and looked decent (for the first attempt), plus I had the time of my life making it. My wonderful husband told me before we started this adventure that I would have to be okay with the fact that they might not look perfect on our first try.
| the colors might be hard to see....but the white ones have the Steelers logo and then there are green ones with yellow drizzle for the Packers. |
P.S.- Yes, there are random lines from the stars of the halftime show in this post. I enjoyed the BEP.
I think we did great! ;)
ReplyDeleteYou know, I just now got the pun on the title of your blog. I'm not very bright.
ReplyDeleteKelly those are awesome! I've seen some people with some mad cake ball skills...but I have trouble making oreo truffles look like a truffle and not a pile of poo...so I am way intimidated to try the cake balls...or cake balls on sticks.
ReplyDeleteWhat melting chocolate do you use?
those look awesome!!
ReplyDeleteThose are so cute! Great job!
ReplyDeleteKelly- those footballs are so cute! I want to make them sometime. -Jaclyn
ReplyDeleteWe used the melting candy discs that you can buy at Hobby Lobby in different colors. It was fast- which was helpful since we had 3 different colors.
ReplyDeleteI think your cake balls look fabulous. I too have a slight problem with being a perfectionist. I am trying to master my cake baking skills, and now I have to try making cake balls. Another problem for me is not eating too much of what I bake! Keep up the baking!
ReplyDelete